To change assignments on the Schedule, click on the colored assignment bar you want to change. From the Edit Menu, you can remove, reassign, edit or split the assignment. Changes you make to the Schedule are reflected on the Projects Page and in the pre-populated time entries on the Personal Page.
After creating an assignment, you can easily repeat that assignment using the Repeat Assignment function. When you repeat an assignment, the time frame and allocation are preserved in all instances of the series.
To add a repeating assignment:
- On the Schedule page, click on the assignment you would like to repeat
- Select Repeat from the menu
- Use “Repeat every” to assign how often this assignment should repeat (i.e. Repeat every 1 week = weekly; Repeat every 2 weeks = bi-weekly, etc.)
- Use “End after” to choose how many times to repeat the assignment.
To remove repeating assignments:
- From the Schedule page, click on the assignment you would like to remove
- Select “Remove” from the menu
- You can choose to remove “The Series” (all past and future assignments in a repeating series), “This + Future Assignments” (only the assignment you have selected plus all future scheduled), or “Only This” (only the assignment selected is deleted, past and future assignments in the series remain).
When you need to change who works on what, you can easily reassign work to another person. When reassigning someone, attributes of that person are automatically selected as filters, showing you which People and Placeholders in your organization match the same criteria (such as Discipline and Role).
Removing Overlapping Assignments
Removing overlapping assignments is helpful when changing a person’s assignment from multiple projects to a single project. This feature is also helpful when someone takes a vacation part-way through a project and you want to remove their project assignments only while on vacation.
To remove overlapping assignments:
- Click on the assignment you want to keep
- Click on the allocation (i.e. 8 h/d)
- Select Remove Overlapping Assignments
- You’ll see a prompt asking, “Remove overlapping assignments?” Click Yes to confirm.
If you remove overlapping project assignments, all of allocated hours from the removed assignments will go back into the project budget, to redistribute as needed.
When a person takes vacation mid-project, you need to decide how to cover their work. You can reassign the hours to another person, extend the assignment, or increase the allocation before or after the days off. 10,000ft does not make assumptions in this situation.
When estimating a project assignment, we recommend keeping the estimate high level. For example,you might initially assign Joe to 4 hours per day on a project for 3 weeks. As you refine the plan, you may want to assign different hours each week so you adjust Joe’s assignment to 6 hours for week one, 2 hours for week two, and 4 hours for week three of the project. You can do this using the Split feature.
To Split assignments:
- Click on the assignment in the approximate place you want to split
- Select Allocation from the menu
- Select Split Between Dates X and Y and then select “Yes.”
- Once your assignment has been split in two, adjust the allocation of each section of the assignment as needed.
- Splitting does not have to be on the exact days needed. You can also drag the ends of each assignment bar to the right location after splitting.