Every business has its own terminology when it comes to projects and people. One of the biggest challenges of adopting new software can be teaching the tool to speak the same language. That's why we've added custom fields for people and projects in 10,000ft!
All Pro and Enterprise accounts have access to custom project and people fields. Accounts with a Basic subscription can upgrade to start using custom fields in their account. Let's see what they can do.
What are custom fields, anyway?
Custom fields are used to add unique information to your people and projects in 10,000ft. They are specific to your company’s internal business logic and allow you to create custom views and reports that your business cares about. They are also really handy for more seamlessly integrating 10,000ft with other systems your company uses.
Custom fields can either be text fields or dropdown menus, and you manage them in your Account Settings. Once you have created a custom field, it will be available when you create or edit a project or person.
That’s a basic overview. If you want all the technical details on how custom fields work, visit our help section.
18 ways to use custom fields
- Assign a project manager or owner to your projects
- Indicate project status (e.g. active, on hold, complete)
- Specify project priority
- Add a contract number or other internal identifier to projects (e.g. track project IDs across multiple systems while integrating with the 10,000ft API)
- Classify projects by risk (e.g. low, medium, high)
- Track projects by business development stage (e.g. prospect, proposal, won)
- Track project domain (e.g. healthcare, wearables, IoT)
- Assign a probability of winning tentative projects
- Specify the region a project is located
- Assign a contract type for each project (e.g. retainer, fixed bid, time and materials)
- Assign a manager or team lead to each person
- Indicate specific skills for each person
- Track various certifications or trainings for each person
- Specify a person’s team or office location
- Track team member’s dietary restrictions
- Track special needs of team members (e.g. wheelchair access, works remotely)
- Add the month a team member was born to coordinate group celebrations
- Add work anniversaries for your team members
Bonus: Surface all of these fields in the Reports Section to gain a deeper understanding of your business.
In short, custom fields are a powerful way to further align 10,000ft to your business and processes. If your company has a Basic subscription, you can upgrade to Pro in your Account Settings and start using custom fields right away.